Monday, December 14, 2009

Hello Once Again

Alright, so I just arrived home after finals and its nice to be able to relax for the next few weeks. Anyway, back to fast cars...


If you have not read the Formula 1000 rules, I would suggest taking a quick look. http://www.formula1000.com/
Interestingly enough they are only 6 pages long and are rather straight forward. There is a reference to this measurement figure on the right, that is part of another set of rules in the SCCA rule book. Some of the most important features are the size along with the engine restriction and weight. Other than that there is not a lot limiting a manufacturer or company to do what they want, which is really interesting.

Since I am not a large company, I am not really going to look at making a thousand of these cars or attempting to mass produce them. Castings and most forgings are something I am not going to pay attention to. Simple forgings like rings may be a good idea though. Also, the more machining I can do, the better, so I will try to stay away from designing parts that need to be milled on a 5 axis CNC. I don't want to spend a million dollars on a weekend racer, but I don't want to cut any corners. Materials like carbon fiber are great, but do I really need half of the car to be built from this stuff? I say no, but making a few things like the seat and a few smaller components may be well worth it. The rules do say that carbon can not be used as a body panel, or any other part 'licked' by the airstream.

Well, that's about it for now. I will start posting about what I have done so far soon and actually kick this blog into high gear. Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment